21 August 2010

elements of self: shadow

What is a shadow? It sort of looks like us...it has to resemble us somehow, as are bodies are that which cast it...but it morphs constantly, stretching, shortening, warping, rarely, if ever, a perfect silhouette of ourselves. It tags along wherever we go...the only way to get away from it is in pure darkness. Indeed, we need light to cast a shadow. What does this say of us? What is the shadow, this dark thing that follows us around like a bodiless spirit trying to get in, only able to barely touch us wherever our body makes contact with the earth? No, not really alive and mindful of it's own, like Peter Pan's shadow that somehow got away from him. No, but it is somehow a part of us, following ever dutifully along.

Could our shadows be likened to our subconscious mind? Ever changing as it processes new thoughts? Like a dream...visible but intangible? Something that truly belongs to us, but never solidifies...

Whatever it is, it's going to stay with as long as we are in our physical bodies. I've never known anyone to dislike this part of themselves. We often don't even remember that we have the shadow tagging along everywhere we go (unless we're a child who's suddenly become fascinated with it). But unlike with our bodies, it doesn't matter if it sags in the wrong places, is too short or too tall. It's going change with a simple twist of the body, anyhow.

I wanted to do a nude silhouette for my shadow image. Being a portrait photographer, I'm aware of how every little twist of the body can affect the image, making someone look taller, thinner, fatter, proportioned or disproportioned. The tilt of the head can enlarge the eyes, or likewise the nose. But a silhouette is even more challenging...especially when doing a self-portrait...trying to show as many lines as possible rather than morphing into a blob. It was fun and challenging, and I got quite warm running back and forth from my camera...even with no clothes on. lol.

This first one makes me laugh. It looks like my waist is right under my breasts.










I really feel like I'm baring a lot here! There were definitely some less-flattering ones, lol. But I like these ones. I think they are pretty, even the top one, where my abdomen is missing. Who says we have to be proportionate to be beautiful? ;)

Elements of Self is hosted by Shakti Mama. For more shadows, visit here.

9 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    this is so cool!
    love the one with outstretched arms, very ballerina-like. love the softness, the pinkish tint...

    great stuff.
    Josie said...
    These are ace! i love them. they are so feminine and beautiful and playful. I love their softness and curveyness.
    I especially love the second one. maybe it's the bunches!
    Janice said...
    These are beautiful!
    Unknown said...
    these are absolutely beautiful! thanks for sharing and baring so much!!!
    momma rae said...
    i love your take on this challenge and your daring and stunningly beautiful photos! :)
    Lisa C said...
    Thank you everyone!
    Juliana @ Shakti Mama said...
    I agree ... these are so sexy and romantic! You are so daring ... I don't think I'd be brave enough. I get embarrassed when I change in the locker room! My favorites are the third and fourth because you are so incredibly graceful in them ... and remind me of a ballerina dancing on stage. Such beautiful photos. I wish I knew this much about photography.

    "Could our shadows be likened to our subconscious mind? Ever changing as it processes new thoughts? Like a dream...visible but intangible? Something that truly belongs to us, but never solidifies..." -- Love, love this. I have to wonder about it ... and how could I have forgotten about my shadow for so long? I mean, really, I think it's been years since I've looked at my shadow! Now I think I could write a short story about it :).

    Thank you for sharing ... and I'm so glad you had fun with this one!
    W-S Wanderings said...
    I like what you say about never having known anyone to dislike their shadows. And how it is rarely a perfect silhouette of ourselves. It's curious how we can often be so dysmorphic with our body-perception, yet not extend it to our shadows.

    Your photos are stunning. I love the sense of movement in them. The sensuous lines. The softness.
    Anonymous said...
    Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!! And so very inspiring...

Post a Comment