14 March 2010

the smell of paint

Two days ago, I decided to paint a picture just for the heck of it. As I've been out of the habit the past several years, I have little in the way of painting supplies...just some paint brushes and a handful of acrylic paints that I've used for craft projects. But I wanted to paint a picture.

I found a chunk of homemade paper hiding in a drawer so I decided to use it.  I wasn't sure what it was going to be at first. I've been enjoying my little boy's obsession over the sun in his picture books, so I thought I would paint one. I love the sun, too.


It actually turned out quite ugly, in my opinion (though it looks a tad better in person), but I enjoyed painting it. I enjoyed not worrying about how it turned out, just throwing the paint around on the page, but mostly, and very deeply, I enjoyed the smell of the paint. In fact, I enjoy the smell of all paints, I think, though most particularly oil paints. But these were acrylics--I didn't notice before how much I loved the way they smell.

Maybe it's that I associate the smell with being creative. I hope it's not unhealthy to breathe deeply while painting, because that's what I kept doing. It just smelled so good.

Thanks to Carin I found out about this acrylic book giveway. Maybe if I win, I can learn how to make something that actually aesthetically pleasing with my paints? lol

5 Comments:

  1. Carin said...
    Oh yes, the smell of paint is something special. It always puts me in a good place. Like you said, it's the association with being creative. Also, for me, it's a connection to the past as my great grandmother, who I never knew, was an accomplished painter. The act of painting/ the joy I feel just smelling the paints, makes me feel like I know her a little better.
    Lisa C said...
    I know what you mean about feeling connected to one's predecessors. My grandfather took up painting later in life and was very good at it, so I always thought of him. And I'm a descendant of the famous Barrett-Brownings, so I think of them in relationship to my poetry.
    Janice said...
    I think your painting is quite lovely (not ugly at all). Lots of texture. Thanks for sharing. :-)
    Unknown said...
    Oh it must have been fun!

    Ok, do be a little careful with the paint sniffing. Not recommended. Perhaps buy non-toxic paint? Husband loves sniffing paint, varnish, anything... I tell him it explains his terrible memory.... lol

    Anyway, I love most of all that you took the plunge, created something you thought ugly, but found the value in the doing it. Excellent!
    Lisa C said...
    lol...well, at least I wasn't putting it right up to my nose! However, note taken. lol

Post a Comment