05 April 2010

moon time indulgences

I'm taking baby steps to change what my moon time is like for me. Two cycles ago, I ordered 105 Ways to Celebrate Menstruation by Kami McBride. I waited till my next cycle to start reading it. I started getting ideas to make my time special.

When I read The Red Tent, I was amazed that all women menstruated at the start of the new moon. I knew that women who lived together would often cycle together, but I didn't know there was traditionally an actual specific time for all women to menstruate. Huh. What's more, they only menstruated for three days! I've always had long periods...easing in slowly, a couple heavy days, and then easing out. If I counted from the first drop to the last, it's probably about nine days long. Well, obviously I can't take a special time out for nine days a month! So I've decided to go with the three heaviest days. I've read that a woman can control when her cycle starts by focusing on it, so I wonder if it's possible to condense it? Hum. That would be interesting.

So I give myself three days. The first of my three days begins tomorrow. In preparation I went to the store to buy a few things: pomegranate juice which is so expensive that I consider it an indulgence...one that apparently quenches my thirst exquisitely when I menstruate; organic strawberries, a mini seedless watermelon, and ylang ylang scented organic shampoo--I think I want to get one indulgence from the cosmetics department each time, if I feel like it. I would have bought some good chocolate or a slice of their decadent chocolate cake, but we have sugar galore at our house right now (my son was very good at finding the candy-filled plastic easter eggs at my parents' house last night, and we somehow ended up taking home half of a birthday cake).

I recently re-acquired The Annotated Alice from the library (I had to return it after only reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) so I will be reading the second half during the next three days. Interesting note: The book has a red cover.

The last two months I have been very gentle on myself during my period, although I pretty much had to as I was sick both times. That actually happens a lot, I think. Will be paying more attention to that. Anyway, pretty much didn't leave the house, just took it easy. Kept chores to a minimum, and lived in my pajamas.

The first month I paid attention to my cycle, I also looked at the moon phase. My flow days started on the new moon. The next one started exactly 28 days later. This month is earlier by four days. *Sigh* It hasn't always been this erratic, but then, I used to pay more attention and write it down every month. Hopefully it will find a good rhythm again.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow--drinking pomegranate juice, eating sweet red fruit, eating leftovers from Easter dinner, reading my book, and taking it easy.

4 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    I LOVE that you're doing this for yourself.

    Oh my, pomegranate juice... mmm... we have them falling off the trees discarded here, so I've got to learn to make juice from them.

    I'd be interested to hear more ideas from the book.

    My moontime is at the dark moon, 3 days. One thing that helps considerably, is to sit under the full moon light every month, and generally attune yourself to the rhythm of the moon.
    I no longer have to sit under the moon every month b/c I'm strongly attuned to it. An easy way is to let it's light shine on you as you sleep.

    Every dark moon I withdraw from the world, for the DM and for my moontime. I never blog or comment, don't socialise, etc. I normally read loads.
    Not always practical. But it's not about hard and fast rules, just about honouring your body and the natural tides of nature.
    Why not pull in when the moon does too? Makes sense to me.
    Unknown said...
    I LOVE that you're doing this for yourself.

    Oh my, pomegranate juice... mmm... we have them falling off the trees discarded here, so I've got to learn to make juice from them.

    I'd be interested to hear more ideas from the book.

    My moontime is at the dark moon, 3 days. One thing that helps considerably, is to sit under the full moon light every month, and generally attune yourself to the rhythm of the moon.
    I no longer have to sit under the moon every month b/c I'm strongly attuned to it. An easy way is to let it's light shine on you as you sleep.

    Every dark moon I withdraw from the world, for the DM and for my moontime. I never blog or comment, don't socialise, etc. I normally read loads.
    Not always practical. But it's not about hard and fast rules, just about honouring your body and the natural tides of nature.
    Why not pull in when the moon does too? Makes sense to me.
    Carin said...
    This is wonderful Lisa! I am so happy you're doing this for yourself! And I'm with Mon, I'd love to hear more about that book.

    The red tent made me think a lot too.

    My relationship with my cycles has always been very strained. I suffered horrendous period pains when I was younger, which turned into IBS as I grew older. That, plus infertility, really turned me against my cycles for a long time. I'd rather be without than go through that every month. It's only in the last couple of years I've attempted to make friends with my cycles. Turning to a low carb high fat diet has really helped me. I'm in tune with my cycles now and am slowly starting to like/ honour them again. And in this my year of being gentle with myself, this has become a big part of it too.
    Lisa C said...
    Mon, thank you for those wonderful ideas. I will try that.

    Carin, I'm glad you are trying to honor your cycle, too. I will definitely be sharing more ideas from the book.

    Unfortunately today wasn't as enjoyable as I had hopped...woke up exhausted, lay in bed all morning while little boy came in and out and periodically joined me in bed. Couldn't get him to nap till really late. My abdomen hurts and little appetite. I finally got a late nap after husband got home.

    Well, at least I honored my body by trying to rest. And I did read a little bit of Alice. And drank pomegranate juice. Mon, I can't believe they lay around discarded over there! We can only get them at the store two months out of the year and they are expensive!

Post a Comment