18 May 2010

life. feeling good.

The quality of my life seems to be improving since the New Year. I attribute it in part to my New Year's resolutions, and also in part to this blog. I haven't written nearly as much here as I thought I would. I think I needed the permission to write uncensored more than to actually do it. In fact, shortly after I decided to launch The Wooded Hill, I felt like I didn't need blogging anymore (but still wanted it). But writing here, without fear, seems to have freed me somehow. I worry a lot less about what I write on my other blog. I feel as though I've matured a bit, too.

Some things have changed with me, again, partly to do with my resolutions. I'm eating better (much less comfort-feeding, and more well-balanced meals), I'm more active, and the pain that resided in my ankle for over a year suddenly decided to leave (after some dietary changes and a small adjustment by my chiropractor). I've learned that dairy is a no-no, except on occasion, and that fish oil supplements are very good for me. Zinc did amazing things for me, but then it was making me a bit constipated, so I stopped taking it. So far, everything is still okay, but if I get out of whack again, I'm trying the zinc again.

I haven't had a meltdown in a while. I cried the other day, but I didn't flip out. I feel like I am in control of myself. It feels wonderful. Of course, I've been getting lots of fresh air and sunshine, too. Honestly, I've been doing lots of little things that all contribute to better health and well-being. For me, it's always been a great juggling act: As long as I'm juggling enough of the 'feel-good things' then I do well, but if I start getting lazy and drop one here and one there, then the next thing I know I'm a mess again.

Spiritually, I'm doing better, but not as well as I would like. I decided to read the Bible all the way through. I don't read every day, but I'm plodding along. Still in Genesis. I normally read The Book of Mormon for my spiritual feeding, which is much easier to understand, but despite my incomprehension of most of Genesis, it still strengthens me somehow. I also joined the church choir, and I had forgotten how wonderful it was to sing with a group.

I've been trying to pay attention to the moon phases and actually know if the moon is waxing or waning, which is an accomplishment for me. I'm paying more attention to my menses and trying to make it a positive experience but being honest with myself when I think it sucks. I don't feel like I've made a lot of progress there, but that's okay. I expect it to take a while to change something that's been going a certain way for so many years.

I feel like I need to spend less time in the blog world. I love it so much, but too much time here takes away from other things, and I probably need to give my brain some space to breathe, instead of constantly filling it with other people's opinions and experiences. It's become such a habit for me that it's hard to break. But I could use the time to work on projects, read books, do something creative, or heck, even clean my house. I really want a clean house right now and have been considering using my son's nap time to accomplish that. But in order to do that I really need to be willing to let go of some of my computer time. It's. So. Hard.

So, that's where I am. Mostly good stuff, yay! Oh, and I just bought a new paintbrush set. If I can get away from my computer some more, maybe I will have some new creations to share!

x

4 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    great to hear how well you're doing. just had a thought, have you considered taking VitD during the Winter? Fab vitamin.

    Reading the Bible from cover to cover is tough and actually a little insane (jk). Have you considered reading it thematically, or by a topic? That's how i did it. although i skipped the beggetings....
    Lisa C said...
    lol. I'm sort of a straight-through reader. I'd actually rather take a class so I can get more out of it (did that for part of the NT once) but I'm just going to let it be simple. I'm getting the chapters emailed to me one a day (although I don't read every day so at this rate it's going to take me 10 years to get through it!)

    The fish oil supplements I take have vitamin D in them. Could be why they help with my mood.
    Anonymous said...
    Glad to hear that you are doing so well.

    When I was in grade 4, I started reading the bible cover to cover. I read a chapter a day. I think it took me three years. :-)

    My mom still says that she thinks the process "blessed" me somehow. I don't remember much of what I read now, but I think it's within me.

    More recently, I've gone through the Course in Miracles, and found that to be a life-changing process.

    Enjoy the process! :-)
    Janice said...
    That last commennt was me!

Post a Comment